The health and safety of our candidates, test venue staff and employees is of the utmost importance and at the forefront of all our decision-making as to whether we proceed with testing in various locations, along with government restrictions and regulations. Find out more about our Covid-19-compliant testing protocols.
OET Testing Suspension
Please refer to the table below for test venues that are currently impacted by Covid-19 and where testing is suspended. We will continue to share updates with you on this page, but as the situation is constantly changing, we also ask that you please check your email regularly for any OET communications.
|Location||Test Venue||Affected test dates|
|Argentina, Cordoba||Academia Arguello SA||10 Oct 2020|
|Australia, Maroochydore||Lexis English||11 Oct 2020 and 7 Nov 2020|
|Australia, Melbourne||Discover English||11 Oct 2020 and 24 Oct 2020|
|Australia, Melbourne||Greenwich English College, Melbourne||11 Oct 2020, 24 Oct 2020, 7 Nov 2020 and 21 Nov 2020|
|Australia, Melbourne||Lawson College Australia||24 Oct 2020|
|Chile, Vina Del Mar||Instituto Chileno Británico de Cultura||23-Oct-20|
|India, Mumbai||Planet EDU, Mumbai||11-Oct-20, 24-Oct-20|
|Nigeria, Lagos||International House Trust Assessment, Nigeria (Lagos)||11-Oct-20, 24-Oct-20|
|UK, Derry||Foyle International||24-Oct-20|
|UK, Torquay||Kaplan International English Torquay||11-Oct-20, 24-Oct-20, 7-Nov-20, 21-Nov-20|
All affected candidates are being advised by email as soon as a decision regarding their test venue is made.
Have a question? Read our FAQs below.
FAQs for Test Delivery Partners
For candidate FAQs, please see here.
We make the decision to cancel a test based on the advice from your country’s health authorities, government and the World Health Organization.
We offer candidates a free deferral to another test date or a full refund.
Please let us know straight away so that we can cancel the test in your location, inform affected candidates and offer them a free deferral or full refund. We would appreciate it if you would not inform candidates or in any other way publish the news until you have received approval of the cancellation from the Strategic Partnerships Team.
Can I insist that my candidates wear a mask even though this is not based on advice from local health authorities or government?
Yes, you may. However, please note that:
- You should give enough notice to the candidates. We suggest that you send the notice with the timetable (i.e. 10 days prior) to the test day.
- You should provide/have enough masks for each candidate on the test day.
- You should check the recording quality for the Speaking sub-test; if it is not clear you will need to ask the candidate to remove the mask. If the candidate is reluctant to do so, please inform them that this might lead to a resit or impact adversely on their Speaking score. The TDP in this instance will have to bear the cost of the candidate’s resit and OET will not make payment to the TDP for the testing in this case.
- If a candidate doesn’t want to or cannot meet this requirement on the day, the TDP must meet the costs of any resit or refund for the candidate, as the case may be.
Our government and health authorities do not recommend it but one of my candidates wants to wear a mask anyway...
We are happy for you to allow the candidate to do so but please inform them that:
- the mask must be removed and checked at all identification points during the test
- if the sound quality during the Speaking sub-test is not good enough, the candidate will need to remove the mask. Should they refuse, please inform them that this may adversely affect their Speaking score.
We ask that you please check all masks and the Speaking sub-test sound quality both before and after the recording.
We will be working closely with our Test Delivery Parters world-wide to increase venue capacities and frequency of testing to meet the backlog. We will have a comprehensive plan in place by the time it is safe for us to resume testing to minimise the negative impact not only on candidates but also on your business financials.
We are deploying a comprehensive program of regular updates for all of our partners. This includes updating this page and the FAQs as changes occur, as well as regular email communications.
In addition, we will be scheduling a monthly webinar with all of our Test Delivery Partners, beginning at the end of March. This is an opportunity for us to take stock, inform you of developments, and hear back from you regarding your concerns and suggestions.
If you have been advised of a positive COVID-19 case either at your venue or relating to an OET candidate or test venue staff, please notify OET within six hours of receiving such notification. Email us at [email protected] with the details, noting that privacy laws apply and you may not be able to provide us with the details of the individual involved.
We will work closely with you to manage this case and communication in relation to it, including to determine whether testing can resume at your test venue. Any information circulated either internally or externally referencing OET or CBLA in this instance must be approved by OET before it is issued.