OET is the English language test designed for the healthcare sector
Do you need to select healthcare professionals for work or study, or are you preparing students or recommending an English test?
Then OET is the test for you!
Patient safety and quality care
Limited language proficiency is an obstacle to effective communication affecting quality of care. OET is designed to replicate the critical tasks of healthcare workplace settings and measure abilities across the skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
Valid and reliable
Underpinned by Cambridge Assessment English and the University of Melbourne, OET has featured prominently in research literature relating to language testing in specific-purpose contexts.
Why these organisations choose OET
- Governments, healthcare boards and councils have a crucial role to play in safe-guarding public safety and OET gives confidence for safe and effective practice.
- Educators integrate OET preparation and testing and accept OET results for entry into healthcare courses, helping students to demonstrate they are ready to communicate effectively in the workplace.
- Employers know that limited language proficiency is an obstacle to effective communication and quality of care. OET replicates the critical tasks of workplace settings and measure candidates’ abilities in listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Teachers have access to the knowledge and tools needed to run high quality OET preparation courses.
- Agents know that OET is recommended by healthcare professionals as most suitable for visa and healthcare registration.
Want to know more about OET?
- Find out what academics and senior doctors think of OET.
- See who accepts OET as proof of English proficiency for visas, study, registration and employment.
- Discover how OET assesses reading, writing, speaking and listening using real healthcare scenarios.
- See why healthcare professionals choose OET.
- View the locations of more than 120 test venues in 40 countries.
“The OET test is a comprehensive and testing exam… I would feel confident as an employer of overseas doctors with a satisfactory OET English language result.”
Alistair Flowerdew MBBS, FRCSEd, MS, former Medical Director and Responsible Officer of three NHS Trusts
“The test materials have been produced to an extremely high standard, are authentic and valid, and highly relevant to day-to-day practice in the United Kingdom.”
Martyn R Partridge MD FRCP, Professor of Respirtory Medicine and Patient-Centred Care, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London