Endorsed by OET.
OET Speaking & Writing Skills Builder (by Ros Wright) is an 8-unit coursebook using a step-by-step approach to prepare candidates fully for the OET in nursing and medicine. It can be used together with OET Reading & Listening Skills Builder, either in the classroom or for self-study. The course familiarises candidates with the test format and criteria and also with medical topics, grammatical structures and lexis that typically appear in OET. In addition, the course helps develop workplace skills for those seeking an international healthcare career.
- Case studies and role-play situations written together with renowned medical experts
- Exam tips and strategies
- Real-world scenarios and authentic dialogues
- Medical topics including, type 2 diabetes, depression and cardiovascular disease
- Grammar reference
- Medical abbreviations and acronyms list
- Transcripts of all recordings
- Answer key and audioscripts
- Digibooks application (LMS system and offline application)
Also available in this series OET Reading & Listening Skills Builder: All Professions – Student’s Book (with DigiBooks App) ISBN 978-1-4715-9700-8
Team of Medical English & OET specialists:
- Ros Wright (OET Speaking & Writing Skills Builder: Nursing & Medicine) is a trainer, teacher trainer and author specializing in medical English. She has authored several titles in this field and runs an induction course preparing overseas doctors to work in the UK’s healthcare system. A former President of TESOL France, Ros is currently a Trustee of IATEFL.
- Series Consultant: Alison Ramsey – Medical English content editor
- Medical Advisor: Dr Christopher A Green – BMedSci(Hons), MBBS, DTM&H, MRCP(ID), DPhil – Infectious Diseases & General (Internal) Medicine Physician
- Medical Advisor: Dr Rebecca L Winslow – MBChB, PG Cert Med Ed, DRCOG, DFSRH, MRCGP, DOccMed – Occupational Health Physician & General Practitioner
For more information, contact [email protected].
Review by OET expert Rebecca
Ros Wright, an experienced writer of medical English textbooks [Good Practice Communication Skills in English for the Medical Practitioner], has released her first book specifically aimed at skills needed for OET: Speaking and Writing Skills Builder. The 8 units within the book each focus on a different healthcare topic, for example Cardiology, and provide a means to introduce different aspects of Speaking and Writing communication as well as related grammar and vocabulary. The medical focus section of each unit will ensure that readers are aware of common healthcare issues that could be covered in OET but also form part of their everyday practice once they are registered to work in the UK.
While the book is described as being for Nursing and Medicine, within the units, more medical writing tasks are presented and more nursing Speaking scenarios. This is balanced somewhat by the inclusion in the additional resource section at the end of the book by an annotated role-play and sample letter for each profession providing valuable insight into how the script or letter in each case has met good communicative standards. However, as an addition, or, should a teacher’s book be planned, it would be good to see suggestions given about how the tasks could be applied as a nurse when it is a medicine task or vice versa. Additionally, the focus on SBAR as a tool for structuring a healthcare letter, while familiar to many in the healthcare profession and a good starting point, does have its limitations. Some content on scenarios when SBAR might not be so useful such as to communicate emergency information would strengthen the Writing sections.
Although the focus of Speaking & Writing Skills Builder is on those two skills specifically, listening and reading are also woven through the activities adding additional examples to language points and building the content out into a comprehensive book for improving English in the healthcare context. With many of the test tips, which are a feature of each page, mirroring official advice provided by OET, Speaking and Writing Skills Builder is easy to recommend to doctors and nurses preparing for OET and work in the UK.