Endorsed by OET.
OET Reading & Listening Skills Builder (By Tom Fassnidge) combines skills development with exam practice to provide a complete solution for candidates preparing for the reading and listening portions of the Occupational English Test (OET). It uses a variety of exercise types to teach specific techniques for the A, B and C sections of each sub-test and applies them to realistic test material.
- 10 units (introductory unit plus three units for each of Reading & Listening A, B and C)
- Detailed breakdown of test strategy for each section
- Grammar and vocabulary exercises focusing on key language for OET
- The equivalent of more than two complete reading and listening tests
- Audio recordings designed to replicate OET Listening tasks
- Full-colour photos, illustrations and diagrams
- Test tips for every part of the reading and listening tests
- Transcripts of all recordings
- Answer Key with explanations
- Digibooks application (LMS system and offline application)
Also available in this series OET Speaking & Writing Skills Builder: Nursing & Medicine – Student’s Book (with DigiBooks App) ISBN 978-1-4715-9698-8
Team of Medical English & OET specialists:
- Tom Fassnidge (OET Reading & Listening Skills Builder: All professions) has been preparing candidates for OET since its acceptance by UK regulatory bodies in 2017. He has been teaching since 2006 and has taught general, business, and exam English in the UK and Italy. He also works as a freelance writer and editor.
- Series Consultant: Alison Ramsey – Medical English content editor
- Medical Advisor: Dr Christopher A Green BMedSci(Hons), MBBS, DTM&H, MRCP(ID), DPhil – Infectious Diseases & General (Internal) Medicine Physician
- Medical Advisor: Dr Rebecca L Winslow MBChB, PG Cert Med Ed, DRCOG, DFSRH, MRCGP, DOccMed – Occupational Health Physician & General Practitioner
For more information, contact [email protected]
Review by OET expert Rebecca
Reading & Listening Skills Builder by Tom Fassnidge contains 10 units full of tips and strategies which candidates preparing for OET are going to find practical and insightful. Following an introductory unit which explains the format of each part of the Reading and Listening sub-tests, there are then 3 units dedicated to each of Part A, Part B and Part C with plenty of practice questions to put the suggested skills to immediate use. The accompanying CD reflects the range of accents candidates will be exposed to on test day.
Over the course of the units, candidates will learn how to notice clues provided in the question stems and answer options and build their knowledge of how language is used in English to become more efficient about using reading time prior to listening to audios or identifying the correct section of text which is likely to contain the answer.
One minor modification to a very comprehensive book would be to provide more scaffolding to support candidates to write their own summary of what they read so they can make the most of the strategy when attempting Reading Part B questions. This aside, Reading & Listening Skills Builder is likely to be of value to all healthcare professionals preparing for OET.