Patient safety and quality care are paramount in healthcare
Limited language proficiency is an obstacle to effective communication and quality of care. OET is designed to replicate the critical tasks of workplace settings and measure candidates’ abilities across the skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking.
“OET test takers are perceived as effective communicators able to communicate on matters that are both technical and emotional and who can use lay language so that patients can easily understand what they are saying.”
International employee perspective
“Since English is my second language, OET prepared me for the real world. As a nurse, communication is very important. OET has given me the confidence to communicate with my patients and colleagues. It made me very proud of myself and raised my self esteem. Sharmaine Chrisha Garde – Nurse.
How can I use OET in my organisation?
- Indicate a preference for OET in your organisation. Prospective international employees will join your organisation with language skills relevant to the workplace.
- Use OET’s structure and testing as a professional development tool for professional development.
Ability to communicate in an English-speaking healthcare workplace
- Candidates that pass the OET test can effectively communicate in technical and emotional environments.
- Participants learn to clearly and empathetically communicate with patients.
Test material developed by experts
- OET’s Listening and reading materials are developed by the Research and Validation team at Cambridge English Language Assessment.
- Our speaking and writing modules are designed by experienced test writers in consultation with subject-matter experts.
- To confirm validity and reliability, test materials are piloted, and trial results subjected to statistical analysis.