Use these easy steps to speed up during OET Reading Part B
Reading Part B tests your ability to quickly understand the gist (main idea) of a short text.
To get this part correct, you need to select the answer (from a list of three) which best matches the text.
One strategy is to answer the question before looking at the answer options.
To do this, follow the five steps below:
- Read the context sentence which gives you information about the text type.
- Then read the question but covering the answer options.
- Now read the text fairly rapidly and try to decide what you think is the answer to that question.
- Lastly, read the answer options. Is one similar to the answer you decided yourself? Check back in the text to make sure this answer is correct.
- If you have time, check the other options in the text. You should be able to find evidence to prove these answers are incorrect.
Following this strategy can simplify the process and help you to answer Part B questions more quickly.
For more handy tips, make sure you head over to the OET Blog.